6 REASONS TO HAVE A PRE LISTING HOME INSPECTION!
So you are thinking of putting your home on the market. You have cleaned, decorated, painted the home and manicured the yard. But what about what you can’t see? Many sellers will opt to have a pre-sale home inspection done, prior to putting their property on the market. The benefits are many!
1. You will have a copy of the inspection to make available to buyers when viewing your home. They will feel more confident moving ahead, after reading a report and knowing the condition inside and out.
2. If repairs are needed, you can mark them on the report or include copies of invoices for those repairs. Be sure to get permits and hire qualified contractors, or the buyer will question the repairs.
3. You will save some money by knowing if there is any issue that needs attention. You can get it taken care of BEFORE going on the market. Buyers hire home inspectors after they have agreed on a price. If something comes up, you can’t factor it in to the price, like you would if you inspected prior to listing.
4. You have trust in the inspector you hire, not an inspector the buyer chooses. You have no control over who the buyer hires, and may differ with their opinion or their qualifications.
5. You have control over the contractor and price, should any repair be needed. For example, if it is determined that a new roof is needed now, you get it done on your terms! You can get a 3 tab shingle roof, and the buyer will be happy with a new roof. If the buyer is involved in the decision, they may want the more expensive option of a dimensional roof, or a certain color.
6. In the case of something that looks scary, like an older furnace, having an inspection on file that shows it has been checked and in good working order, may keep a buyer from passing on the home.
Can you see that having an inspection done prior to listing is a good idea for several reasons? The cost of home inspections run anywhere from $250-$500, depending on the size of the property.